Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

telstra locked mobile

telstra locked mobile

SOLVED
Highlighted
Rookie (LVL:4)

telstra locked mobile

will a telstra locked mobile wor on Boost network?

and does boost getaccess to telstra 4GX ?   Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Professional (LVL:4)

Re: telstra locked mobile

The coverage area is a bit different, there are frequncies only used for 4GX so they can only be accessed for 4GX. 

If you check out the Telstra coverage map - here - click on the 'detailed' map view in the top right and then select 4G below that, it will show the 4G in that area. You can click 4G and then 4GX and you will see the difference in the coverage between the two.  

----------
Helpful Links:
Outage in your area? - Check for outages on the network
Need help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 here
Recharge, Int. Call and Roaming Options - Rates page
----------
I am not a Boost or Telstra Employee, but I have a reasonably strong knowledge of technology in general. Just here to help when I can.

This Community is for Boost Australia, but if you are looking for Boost Mobile USA click here, or for their community here
5 REPLIES

Yes and no.

Yes, the handset should work with a Boost sim even if it is locked to Telstra.

No, Boost currently only have access to Telstra 4G not to 4GX.
----------
Helpful Links:
----------
I am not a Boost or Telstra Employee, but I have a reasonably strong knowledge of technology in general. Just here to help when I can.

This Community is for Boost Australia, but if you are looking for Boost Mobile USA click here, or for their community here

Thanks, and does this mean that when in remote areas that are serviced by 4gx towers I will still have reception on Boost but at slower 4G rates?

The coverage area is a bit different, there are frequncies only used for 4GX so they can only be accessed for 4GX. 

If you check out the Telstra coverage map - here - click on the 'detailed' map view in the top right and then select 4G below that, it will show the 4G in that area. You can click 4G and then 4GX and you will see the difference in the coverage between the two.  

----------
Helpful Links:
----------

Thanks again

Professional (LVL:1)

DrQ wrote:
No, Boost currently only have access to Telstra 4G not to 4GX.

Hi Fred, Dr Q and other interested parties,

Not quite the full story.

I live in a poor coverage area of VIC; so I have some experience with all of Telstra/ Boost's 4G & 4Gx possabilities. Both locally and in larger towns ( Ballarat & Melbourne). Also, I rang Boost Head Office (Sydney team Leaders) when 4G was 1st offered by Boost. Lots of us had the same Q's about 4Gx tower coverage and speed!

A - 4Gx is only a Telstra marketing name for better & faster 4G; mainly on on Band 28 /700MHz frequency ( travels further in outback and penitrates buildings better than the other higher 4G frequencies that Telstra uses).

A2 - Telstra 4G/ LTE towers use: Band 28/ 700MHz (most new & upgraded '4Gx' towers); Band 3/ 1800Mhz (common, old towers); Band 1/ 2100; Band 7/ 2600 (mainly to augment city needs). Band 8/ 900MHz may be rolled out as a 4Gx frequency as time goes by [ex 2G/ 900MHz, from the recent shut down of all Telstra's 2G towers. Only a handfull operating on 4Gx so far]. 

B - IF your phone has LTE Band 28/ 700MHZ on board (firmware/ Antenna set up), your are in business for potentialy good country coverage. Check your phone's detailed 4G/ LTE specs, for YOUR model number. Nearly all Android overseas imports (not sourced locally) do not have Band 28/ 700MHz on board. Only a few countries use Band 28, including Aus & NZ. {Older iPhones models may need checking too - not sure, as I only use Androids}.

C - IF you find that Band 28 is on board, then you can get '4Gx / Band28/ 700MHz from any towers in the area that use that frequency. In most town areas the Higher 4G frequencies are used at present; often switching between them and Band 28, when in poor reception & outer town areas.

D - IF you do not have Band 28 on board, then you will get zero 4G coverage when there is only a 4Gx/ Band 28/ 700MHz tower in area. You may get some 4G from other, nearby (higher frequency) towers; however, you can land up in 'Black spots", with nothing. This is the case for over 60% of my area of central Victoria. We mainly run on overloaded 3G still.

E - LTE/ 4Gx/ Band 28 can be a lot faster than other/ older 4G tower frequencies. The theoretical 4Gx/ 700MHz speed is officialy throttled back for Boost [according to Boost Head Office]. In practice, Boost can get the full Telstra 4Gx/ Band 28 speed, if near some towers - but not all. This has been my, and others', experience sinc Boost went to 4g.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F - So, the answer is that you can lock onto a 4Gx/ Band28/ 700MHz tower with full coverage on a Boost Sim. However, speed may be impaired by distance from the tower and the model of phone used. Also, do not trust Telstra 4g & 4Gx coverage maps in the country. Unreliable in many cases. Hills and tall trees can cause black spots for kilometres!

Hope the above clarifies the issue. Boost, unfortunately, did not make clear statements at the start. Hope your phone has the required Band 28 onboard. Note: Optus use the same LTE band 28 and call it '4G+' for their marketing!

Regards, Shalama.