Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

overseas sms

overseas sms

Highlighted
Rookie (LVL:3)

overseas sms

Hello

I went overseas mainly to Thailand, Singapore and Malaysia last week and I could not send or recieve  text messages.

I had data turned off on my phone, so is this why ?

I want to be able to recieve messages and phone calls but not to  make them. I use wifi wherever I go but sometimes I want to be contactable on my existing number by at least messages.

Does anyone know what settings I should use. I have a samsung Galaxy S5.

I did buy a extra data pack the time before I went overseas, but it lasted only about 5 minutes so at $25 for 5 minutes, its not worth it.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Founder

Re: overseas sms

Hi there Ferries

You do not require data to send SMS, but Boost UNLTD is only available to standard Australian numbers within Australia.

You would have needed to buy an Add On (you could have done it via the USSD service even while overseas (#111#) to be able to make calls, send SMS and MMS to numbers overseas while in Australia, or back home when you are abroad.

Rates overseas are not cheap, but the pricing is not hidden. It's all clearly stated at boost.com.au/rates

You don't need to make any adjustments to your settings.

You might want to consider purchasing a pre-paid starter kit in the country you're in. Much better rates.

CORY | I do not work for Boost or Telstra.

Boost Care: 125 8881 or 1800 026 678 . Or Live Chat 24x7: http://livechat.boost.com.au
Highlighted
Community Founder

if you will be calling from Thailand that would be  $2.50, Singapore $1.50, Malaysia $2

so if you are going to use the ADDON for calling it really is not worth it. You should have jsut used the ADDON to send SMS.

NO settings should be changed on your device to receive SMS.  as long as roaming is available you should be receiving SMS only.. NO data required for that unless you are waiting for an Imessage.  however since you are using an S5 no imessage no data Requirement .

If you were able to get the answer pls don't forget to mark the post as an Accepted Solution. If you also found someone helpful do not forget to give them Kudos to show your appreciation." None of us here are working for Boost or Telstra we are just here to help and share.
-nefy-
Highlighted

Hi Corey

Thanks for that. However, I did buy add on last time and like I said it lasted about 5 minutes only after I turned the phone on upon landing in Thailand. I dont want to make calls or recieve calls ( unless emergency) , I only want to recieve text messages and send text messages when Im not in a wifi area.

Once the phone was turned on, it used all the data I had on the add on straight away, so how to stop this, do I disable roaming etc so I can just get messages??

Highlighted
Community Founder

You need the add on to "enable" roaming. 

If you receive calls (or retrieve voicemail), it charges the full international rate.

Firstly, you need to disable roaming mobile data in your phone settings. Depends on phone model how to do it exactly, but on Android it should be under the Mobile Network setting menu. 

Then you need to block all incoming calls (it doesn't block SMS send/receive). A guide to how to do that is in this article.

http://community.boost.com.au/t5/Setup-Device-Support/Tips-for-using-Boost-quot-roaming-quot-oversea...

This community forum is for Boost Australia queries only. I am a Boost customer, and my comments are purely voluntary. For Boost Support please contact PH 1258881 or https://livechat.boost.com.au/

Highlighted
Community Founder

you just simply do not turn on Mobile Data and Disable Data Roaming. you would be able to receive REGULAR SMS ONLY.

If you were able to get the answer pls don't forget to mark the post as an Accepted Solution. If you also found someone helpful do not forget to give them Kudos to show your appreciation." None of us here are working for Boost or Telstra we are just here to help and share.
-nefy-
Highlighted

Thank you nefy, appreciated. I wiil do this when I leave next week and hopefully it works

Highlighted
Community Founder

We hope so too. Were glad to help anytime.

Bon Voyage.

-nefy-

Does the message2txt service still work? I followed the instructions and the person calling just hears a continuous horrible noise.

I dialled: **21*61418707111*10# and have a samsung S8+