Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tax invoice for payments

Tax invoice for payments

SOLVED
Highlighted
Amateur (LVL:1)

Tax invoice for payments

I was wondering about the possibility of receiving a tax invoice when I top up either manually or automatically. Is that possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Founder

Re: Tax invoice for payments

Bernie wrote:

I was wondering about the possibility of receiving a tax invoice when I top up either manually or automatically. Is that possible?

as we have previously mentioned several times

Boost is not obligated to provide TAx Invoices as the Boost uNLTD does not have a monetary value .

Long version: Under taxation law, prepaid recharges are not taxable - it is only the usage itself that is taxable. Additionally, a tax invoice is only legally required if the GST inclusive amount is greater than $82.50 (that's the actual $ amount, not a "we give you $200 of bonus credit for a $20 recharge and you used $100 of it at once" amount - that usage would only be worth around $10). On boost, the most "real value" credit you can have on your account at one time is $50 - and that's only add-ons. Even if you used it all at once, you're still under that $82.50 threshold, so there is no circumstance under which Boost is legally required to provide you with a tax invoice. As such, no system is currently available. It may become available in time, but Boost are under no obligation to implement it - if you have to have something physical, you should buy vouchers in person.

If you were able to get the answer pls don't forget to mark the post as an Accepted Solution. If you also found someone helpful do not forget to give them Kudos to show your appreciation." None of us here are working for Boost or Telstra we are just here to help and share.
-nefy-
8 REPLIES
Community Founder

Boost does not issue tax invoices. It is not obligated to under tax law.

Saying that, if you need something similar, you can buy recharge vouchers from retailers for Boost, and use that receipt.

This forum is for Boost Australia queries only. For Boost Support please contact PH 1258881 or https://livechat.boost.com.au/

Community Founder

Bernie wrote:

as we have previously mentioned several times

Boost is not obligated to provide TAx Invoices as the Boost uNLTD does not have a monetary value .

Long version: Under taxation law, prepaid recharges are not taxable - it is only the usage itself that is taxable. Additionally, a tax invoice is only legally required if the GST inclusive amount is greater than $82.50 (that's the actual $ amount, not a "we give you $200 of bonus credit for a $20 recharge and you used $100 of it at once" amount - that usage would only be worth around $10). On boost, the most "real value" credit you can have on your account at one time is $50 - and that's only add-ons. Even if you used it all at once, you're still under that $82.50 threshold, so there is no circumstance under which Boost is legally required to provide you with a tax invoice. As such, no system is currently available. It may become available in time, but Boost are under no obligation to implement it - if you have to have something physical, you should buy vouchers in person.

If you were able to get the answer pls don't forget to mark the post as an Accepted Solution. If you also found someone helpful do not forget to give them Kudos to show your appreciation." None of us here are working for Boost or Telstra we are just here to help and share.
-nefy-
Rookie (LVL:3)

I understand that Boost is not obligated to provide a tax invoice under the current tax regulations. I would note that many other businesses provide a tax receipt, regardless of the amount, as although they are under no obligation to do so it can be handy for some customers.

As an example. I claim my mobile service through my work. I cannot claim this, however, without a valid tax receipt. Many other people I am sure would claim some or all of their mobile usage on their personal tax - having a record of those costs is important. As has been noted, I can always purchase a voucher from the likes of **bleep** Smith. Who provide a tax invoice. However. It would be really nice to 'auto topup' and avoid having to go into a shop in advance to get a voucher. Boost wins because I suddenly become a regular customer. I win as I no longer have to worry about credit running out. I can't do this, however, because I would not get a tax invoice.

I'm pretty happy with most other aspects of the Boost services, so I'll probably continue with  Boost for now and put up with visiting DSE once a month, but I can understand how this could be enough to push some people to use another provider. Is there a technical reason why a tax invoice cannot be provided by default if you topup online - surely it is just a matter of setting up a script that displays a receipt and/or sends a receipt to a registered email address?

Spectator

I am not sure if not supplying an invoice or at least a letter of service is actually legal. I quote from the ATO web site regarding the issue of Tax invoices. As far as I am aware Boost Mobile is an agent for Telstra who provides the service to us as a User

When you make a taxable sale of more than $82.50 (including GST), your GST-registered customers need a tax invoice from you to be able to claim a credit for the GST in the purchase price.

If a customer asks you for a tax invoice, you must provide one within 28 days of their request.

Tax invoices must include at least seven pieces of information. There are additional requirements for invoices for:

For commercial law purposes, an agent is a person who is authorised, either expressly or impliedly, by a principal to act for that principal so as to create or affect legal relations between the principal and third parties.1

Tax invoices for taxable sales of less than $1,000 must include enough information to clearly determine the following seven details:

1. that the document is intended to be a tax invoice
  2. the seller's identity
  3. the seller's Australian business number (ABN)
  4. the date the invoice was issued
  5. a brief description of the items sold, including the quantity (if applicable) and the price
  6. the GST amount (if any) payable – this can be shown separately or, if the GST amount is exactly one-eleventh of the total price, as a statement such as 'Total price includes GST'
  7. the extent to which each sale on the invoice is a taxable sale (that is, the extent to which each sale includes GST)
Community Founder

I think you will find there is no service Boost sells which is over $82.50. Only for services over that value do they HAVE to provide a tax invoice.
Also, there is only GST applied for calls/SMS/data actually used, which obviously cannot be calculated at time of payment.

This forum is for Boost Australia queries only. For Boost Support please contact PH 1258881 or https://livechat.boost.com.au/

Community Founder

please understand that Boost does not have a real value to confirm the "Taxable sale" of $82.50. as you can check the $40 that you are recharging does not go to the main balance. 

the only time that Boost has a real taxable amount is when you recharge and used the addon at a total of $82.50

-nefy-
Spectator

Hi there,

I am after a receipt for my recharge purchases. What is the process to obtain these?

Reading previous comments in this thread it appears you beleive you are not required to provide receipts. You are incorrect, the ACCC provides clear guidance.

Businesses must always give you a receipt (or similar proof of purchase) for anything over $75. If they don't, ask for one. You also have the right to request a receipt for anything under $75 and the receipt must be given within seven days of asking.

The receipt must include the:

• supplier’s name and ABN or ACN
  • date of supply
  • product or service, and
  • price.

source: https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/prices-surcharges-receipts/receipts-proof-of-purchase#ask-for-a-re...

Regards,

Andrej

Spectator

Hi.   If you recharge online using web browser you will get a receipt.