Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting from Telstra pre-paid

Rookie (LVL:3)

Hi

Talk about disappointed!! Bought two $40 Starter Packs yesterday. Got onto chat this morning to activate and port my number, only to be told that you can't port using a Starter Pack sim.

Then I was told it will take 3 to 5 business days to get the blanks sims to me. Now I've just received an email saying Boost has run out of blank sims. Not happy Jan!  ;-)

I was told this morning that my blank sims would arrive in 3 to 5 business days. Based on your email below, please let me know when you expect to get them to me?

Cheers,  Paul

PS.  Why the heck don't you place a warning on the Starter Packs saying you can't use them for porting from Telstra pre-paid?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Porting from Telstra pre-paid

Should have read; 'I was told this morning that my blank sims would arrive in 3 to 5 business days. Based on the email I just received for you stating that you've run out of blank sims, please let me know when you expect to get them to me?'

Community Founder

I think that email saying out of stock happens on weekends. But, from previous experience and other customer feedback, they should post it with their courier on Monday. If you are in a major city, you should have it Tues/Wed delivered.

This community forum is for Boost Australia queries only. I am a Boost customer, and my comments are purely voluntary. For Boost Support please contact PH 1258881 or https://livechat.boost.com.au/

Community Founder

Technically, you can't "port" if you're already with a carrier, the industry term has always been "churn". You're already a customer with the carrier, so you're not porting.

Your original question should be, "why can't I use the starter-kits to churn between service providers with the same carrier", which in itself is a great question.

This post wasn't really helpful, was it?

I had the same problem ... bought a $40 starter pack and only found out during activation that I needed to re-order a dirrerent "blank" SIM especially for porting/churning my existing number from Telstra.  I was on Telstra post-paid, and I have now discovered the correct process is:

1. Contact Boost support to order a "blank" SIM for churning/porting your number from Telstra. Call Boost Customer Care team on 125 8881, or I found Online Chat was a convenient and great service
  2. Wait a few days to receive from courier - someone needs to be home to receive, otherwise it goes back to the courier office for you to collect
  3. Call or online Chat to customer care team to activate and have ready: SIM serial number, your D.O.B, account number from previous provider, etc
  4. Boost then needed to arrange to have my Telstra account changed from post-paid to pre-paid
  5. Boost then placed an order to have my existing Telstra number ported/churned to Boost
  6. I also requested at this stage that the $40 value purchased on the original SIM be transferred onto this blank SIM. I was told this was not a standard process, but the supervisor was able to approve this, so make sure you ask up front
  7. Purchase credit
  8. My Telstra SIM went dead after an hour or so.
  9. My Boost SIM has not come live yet. Only 1 day so far, but a bit frustrating. Does anyone know how long it takes?

I am very happy with the online chat service so far, but disappointed that this process is not made clear on the Boost shop web site with the extra week or so of delays.  An alert when purchasing a SIM would be helpful, ... "Want to transfer your existing mobile number to Boost? Then press this BIG ORANGE BUTTON ... ;-)

Looking forward to getting going ...

How long does it take to port/churn an existing number from Telstra to Boost?

My Telstra SIM went dead ~1hour after arranging online to activate the Boost SIM, but the Boost SIM has not become äctive" yet after 1 day.

(I have repeated this question under a separate post to previous to highlight this specific question, thanks!)

Community Founder

Suggest talking to Boost again. Once the old sim goes dead, the other should be active straight away.

This community forum is for Boost Australia queries only. I am a Boost customer, and my comments are purely voluntary. For Boost Support please contact PH 1258881 or https://livechat.boost.com.au/

Thanks

Boost checked a few things then asked me to remove, clean and reinsert my SIM and it worked.

Spectator

I had the same problem. BUT Boost gave me a replacement step 4.i have to call Telstra and ask them to convert my postpaid SIM to a prepaid. Then I need to call Boost again and they activate the prepaid Boost SIM.
The Boost website does not contain these steps. I am still at step 2 and am highly unimpressed with Boost communication. The Telstra disease must be contagious.