Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message2Text Service while overseas

SOLVED
johnbrennanlive
Professional (LVL:4)

Today I read a fantastic article by pvandenh 11/02/2014.

Here is an extract.

When roaming overseas, I simply modify the first option to:

Always forward = +61 418 707 111

This setting will grey out all the other options below it.

* You can dial a number to enable that setting quickly. Dial **21*+61418707111*10#.

Your callers will now be directed to the free Message2Txt service instantly without ringing on your phone (they leave a 10 second voicemail message, which is translated into a SMS and sent to you). The translation sometimes isn't very accurate, but it does pass along the callers phone number also, so you know who it was that called.

Does this actually work, because I am keen to only receive messages when I am overseas.

I am keen to follow what pvandenh suggests.

What is this number +61 418 707 111 and what does it do?

Does it convert the caller's message into text, then sends it to the mobile.?

Do all overseas networks support this FREE SMS service?

Cheers and thank you for alerting me.

Kind regards
johnbrennanlive
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pvandenh
Community Founder

Re: Message2Text Service while overseas

Dial that number. It will basically do the call forward settings for you. Trial it now, and then call your mobile from another number, and then you will hear what it sounds like to callers.

**21*+61418707111*10# sets you phone to "Always forward to Message2Txt".

##21**10# sets your phone back to how you had it before that (normal).

Personally, I just save those numbers as a contact on my phone. I name them "Roaming divert" and "Normal divert". Makes it easy to set it on/off, just by selecting and dialing the contact.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
pvandenh
Community Founder

Yes it works. I have used it overseas multiple times.

That forward number is the Telstra Message2Txt service (if you prefer to get your voicemails that way, as apposed to 101 for normal voicemail).

Few things I have worked out from multiple trips though.

1. If you plan on keeping your phone turned on, note that the messages that are relayed via SMS are charged at the international rate while you are roaming (you are charged only for tyhe time it takes the caller to leave the message). 10 seconds is normally short enough to keep the message short, and means you won't pay too much (need a bit of add-on credit).

2. If you keep your phone off for the most part, and just turn it on occasionally, then the messages received during that "off time" are free when you get them..

SMS receiving is free on all roaming country networks that I could find information on. Check the link on the Boost rates page and put in the countrieds you are travelling to, in order to understand the rates.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.

nefy
Community Founder

+61418707111 is a network based service number. All sms. Are sent and received via that number. Once you changed that youw ill not be able to send and receive sms anymore

If you were able to get the answer pls don't forget to mark the post as an Accepted Solution. If you also found someone helpful do not forget to give them Kudos to show your appreciation." None of us here are working for Boost or Telstra we are just here to help and share.
-nefy-
johnbrennanlive

The countries would be France Italy Greece and maybe Turkey.

I intend to do exactly what you say. I would leave the phone OFF and then just switch it on briefly to see if I had any SMSs.

If, however, during that time someone called and started to leave a short 10 second message to be converted to text, I could be charged. Is that correct.

If I want to cover myself for that charge what add-on would BOOST accept?

Kind regards
johnbrennanlive
johnbrennanlive

Hi Nefy,

What did you mean by this

@nefy wrote:

+61418707111 is a network based service number. All sms. Are sent and received via that number. Once you changed that youw ill not be able to send and receive sms anymore

I did not quite understand.

You will not be able to send and receive sms anymore. That's the bit I did not quite get.

Is the number in-built?

Kind regards
johnbrennanlive
pvandenh
Community Founder

@johnbrennanlive wrote:

The countries would be France Italy Greece and maybe Turkey.

I intend to do exactly what you say. I would leave the phone OFF and then just switch it on briefly to see if I had any SMSs.

If, however, during that time someone called and started to leave a short 10 second message to be converted to text, I could be charged. Is that correct.

If I want to cover myself for that charge what add-on would BOOST accept?

There is only a $10 add-on rate option. 

Your understanding is correct.

The highest rate while away is Turkey $4 per minute (others are $2-$2.50 per minute).

Divide by 6 to get the 10 second rate (so you will pay between $0.33 - $0.66 per message left while the phone is turned on).

I tend to have some add-on credit to send message replies ($0.65 per SMS to send).

pvandenh
Community Founder

@nefy wrote:

Sorry, that is incorrect. In the call forward option the OP is talking about, it forwards callers to the Message2Txt service. While it is active, all incoming/outgoing SMS still work as per normal.

nefy
Community Founder

hi..

I am saying that the number you are referring to is a network based number for your voicemail.whether it is message 2 txt or regular voicemail it is forwarded to that network based number. I was referring to voicemail 2 txts if in case that you had that capacity to change that number and has successfully changed it your voicemail or voicemail 2 txt will not work

.. sorry if I have not elaborated earlier. i made it look like you won't be able to send and receive anymore. 

If you were able to get the answer pls don't forget to mark the post as an Accepted Solution. If you also found someone helpful do not forget to give them Kudos to show your appreciation." None of us here are working for Boost or Telstra we are just here to help and share.
-nefy-
johnbrennanlive

Let me say thanks to both of you for helping me understand.

pvandenh,

With BOOST, I am on a $40 auto plan.

Let's just say I did not get the $10 add-on, and I was charged $1.00 for activity in Turkey.

How would BOOST deduct this from my account?

Please tell me more about the $10 add-on.

If I do get charged for receiving an SMS in say Turkey, how will BOOST know that the $10 add-on is for that charge?

And another question:

Do I need to sign up to some sort of International Roaming?

Remember that my phone will be OFF for 23 hours and 55 minutes each day.

I will turn it ON momentarily, see the text messages and then turn it OFF.

I intend to do exactly what you say.

On another device, I shall use SKYPE in a Wi-Fi area

Kind regards
johnbrennanlive
nefy
Community Founder

hi

you said you are on auto plan? are you on auto recharge? if you are, please cancel that before you leave especially if you know that you are still outside the country on the day of your auto recharge.

International roaming is automatically activated on a prepaid service with Boost, so meaning you do not need special activation to do that, unless you have deactivated it before.

https://www.telstra.com.au/international-roaming/availability-pricing/post-paid#prepaidplans

as per that website the international roaming to make and receive calls is $4. and .65c for sms.

and as mentioned before you just need the addon recharge of $10 . and yes the activity and any thing that you do while overseas will only be deducted n that $10 because the $10 will appear as a main balance on your phone.

Boost ADDON is the only thing that can be used for international roaming, so automatically boost system will know it is for that charge

-nefy-