Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant make or receive phone calls

Mtkerrz
Rookie (LVL:3)

Using a huawei mate 20 pro. I can't make or receive phone calls when in certain areas where i can still send and receive txt messages and use data. Eg. While in Canberra city area, i can use my phone fully, calls, txt and data. However when i venture out onto the snowy mountains highway towards Adaminaby and beyond, i cant make or receive phone calls but everything else works fine. What is the issue?

3 REPLIES 3
pvandenh
Community Founder

Re: Cant make or receive phone calls

Some rural areas are "4G only". 4G will allow data and SMS to be accessible. But for calls, you need to have access on your phone to VoLTE.

Your phone needs to have the correct firmware in order to use VoLTE or VoWIFI (calls over 4G, or wifi). Not all phone manufacturers/models have been released with the appropriate carrier settings baked into their firmware to support VoLTE with all carriers.

In most large population areas, 3G is still available (for the next couple years atleast), and calls will failover to 3G. But if there is no 3G signal for some reason, plus you do not have VoLTE or VoWIFI, then calls will simply fail to connect.

Hopefully that helps explain what is going on.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.

Mtkerrz
Rookie (LVL:3)

Yes it does make sense. After some research and tech support ive discovered that in this particular area Telstra are the only service proiders. So i am with boost. The only carriers that currently support VoLTE on the huawei mate 20 pro is optus and Vodafone. So basically im screwed. Until either Telstra give access to huawei mate 20 pro, optus or Vodafone put a 4g tower in or i change phones.

Thanks for your reply. 

pvandenh
Community Founder

@Mtkerrz wrote:

.... Until either Telstra give access to huawei

Not so much Telstra "giving access". The carrier settings required for VoLTE must be included in the firmware from the manufacturer.

Looks like Huawei have included the settings required for some other carrier networks for VoLTE to work, but not the Telstra settings.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.