Boost Mobile Community
Got a Question? Search Current Forums
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G Coverage Issues

Since launching our 4G network, we’ve had feedback from some customers in areas with low 4G reception that they’re experiencing slow data connections. Here are some answers to commonly asked questions.

I have low bars of 4G coverage, my 3G coverage was better.

It is important to note that the actual bar representation does not indicate speed but rather network/signal strength and it varies between network types and manufacturers so is not the best indicator. It is much better to compare actual experience, ie. Is the service faster than before or do you find pages / apps take longer to connect?

If the latter you may want to lock the network to 3G for the best experience, otherwise ignore the bars and enjoy the faster speeds Smiley Happy

When I make or receive a phone call the 4G disconnects and I get pushed back to 3G.

Voice calls are made using the 3G network so this is nothing to worry about, it is a normal part of how the network operates.

My phone constantly switches between 3G, 4G and E indicators.

This may indicate that the 4G signal at that particular location is not quite as strong as the 3G coverage. Your phone continually changes between the networks as the device tries to ensure that you have the best possible connection at all times. In situations such as this the frequent changes can interrupt connectivity. Customers who have difficulties with constantly switching networks are well advised to lock their device to 3G or 4G for optimal experience.

How do I lock my device to the 3G network?

You’ll need to change some of your network settings on your phone.

Here are some instructions for the most frequently used devices.

iPhones

iOS.PNG

1. Select ‘Settings’
  2. Go to ‘General’
  3. Ensure ‘Mobile Data’ is On
  4. Change ‘Voice & Date’ to 3G

Note: on some older versions of iOS you may not have Voice & Data but rather an option 'Enable 4G' or similar that you can turn off on this same screen.

Samsung Galaxy series

Android1.PNG

Android2.PNG

1. Select ‘Apps’
  2. Select ‘Settings’
  3. Select the ‘Connections Tab’ then select ‘More networks’
  4. Select ‘Mobile networks’
  5. Select ‘Network Mode’
  6. Ensure network mode is set to ‘WCDMA/GSM (auto connect)’. If you’re connecting to LTE/WCDMA/GSM, your phone will lock to 4G even if the 4G signal is poor.

I’m still having trouble with network connectivity on the 3G network

Please call our Customer Care centre on 125 8881 for technical support.

Version history
Revision #:
3 of 3
Last update:
‎07-10-2015 3:58 PM
Updated by:

Contributors