Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling & the Boost App

Cuppa
Rookie (LVL:4)

Whilst in remote areas without a mobile phone signal I am reliant on satellite internet & WiFi calling on my iphone. This generally works remarkably well, giving good quality phone calls & allowing text messaging for things like 2 step verifications when needed. No complaints about this.

However the Boost app does not work when on wifi, rendering the app usesless when needed as I found recently.

All I needed to do was to enable a new credit card for the monthly auto recharge.

Discussion via Boost's online chat several weeks ago revealed that I needed to wait until the monthly renewal date to do this or lose the credit (& rollover data I had already paid for). Something which seems unnecessarily rigid.

When that date came around I no longer had a mobile signal & was reliant upon wifi calling.

What I had not been told was that if the account was not paid on the renewal date that wifi calling would cease to work!

So there I was needing to make a call & unable to do so. I subsequently realised that my monthly payment had not been made but all the options on the Boost helpline directed me to the bloody app which only works with a mobile signal. Catch 22.

I did eventually find a way to renew using a borrowed laptop but nothing about the the automated help system directed me to this solution, & without it would have had no phone service, this in spite of my earlier calls made to Boost to prevent a scenario just like this before leaving mobile signals behind. So I found myself renewing a 'cut off' service, so presume I have now, through no fault of my own, & purely because of the rigidity of Boost's support service where 'the computer says no" will have lost my accrued rollover data.   And I still have yet to find a way to re-set up auto recharge again without the app. And no, I cant do this by voice call because the Boost support operators are unable to accept credit card details!

Just make the app so that it works the same on wifi as it does on mobile ..... and/or make changing credit card details independent of renewal dates. Surely it's not rocket science, & a company which fits for customers rather than expecting customers to fit the company would surely  be a more profitable one. And finally on the Boost 125 8881 support number - add a "Press number if no other selection covers your need" AND have someone available to answer it. I tried multiple options but still never got to speak to a human.

2 REPLIES 2
pvandenh
Community Founder

Re: Wifi Calling & the Boost App

With the migration to a new backend system, there is also a new app, which works how you are needing it (via wifi with an account login etc). Slowly customer accounts are being migrated to the new system. 

It is also worth noting that rollover data only applies on the 28 day plans, and only rolls over until the next 28 days (it doesn't keep accrueing after that period - it expires and comes off the account entirely). So at most, your lost rollover data would have been only from the 28 days period before it expired.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.

Cuppa
Rookie (LVL:4)

Re: Wifi Calling & the Boost App

Thanks for your reply pvandenh. Yes 28 days rollover loss. 30 Gb as I had slowly built up over a year or two so that I always had the 30Gb buffer in addition to my 30Gb 28 day 'allowance'. Good to have 'just in case' when travelling full time as I do. It can be dismissed/minimised as a small amount, but will take me some time to acrue it again. Besides it was mine & lost due to the system - there is a principle involved! I should not lose it due to no fault of my own, it feels like theft.

I downloaded the new app sometime ago, but it never recognised me or my account so I deleted it after a couple of months & just continued with the app that worked. Your description of it sounds encouraging if Boost manage to make it work.