Did you mean: 

SPEEDTEST REVEALS...

SPEEDTEST REVEALS...

Rookie (LVL:4)

SPEEDTEST REVEALS...

Telstra Speed Test

81.6Mbps
Download speed

Download refers to activities such as streaming video, downloading files and browsing the web.
0.5Mbps
Upload speed
32ms
Ping speed
My Question is this... For video calls one must have an upload speed of 12Mbps... How does Boost correct this so I can get to use the service that is supposed to be provided. This is why all social media is poor and drop outs consistently bad all the time... You guys must lift your game. The internet is about uploading as well now. Maybe 5G will correct this?
4 REPLIES 4

Re: SPEEDTEST REVEALS...

Telstra Speed Test

13.6Mbps
Download speed

Download refers to activities such as streaming video, downloading files and browsing the web.
0.6Mbps
Upload speed
25ms
Ping speed

Latest real speed test for Boost

Telstra Speed Test

31.8Mbps
Download speed

4.2Mbps
Upload speed
25ms
Ping speed
Champion (LVL:1)

1.5Mbps upload is typically sufficient for video calling on a mobile device for most standards. Ideally 4-5Mbps would ensure a smooth and consistant experience though.

Speeds on the Mobile Network will vary greatly depending on the device, the tower, the day, the network load at the time. This is why they use estimated guide speeds as opposed to specifc speeds that would apply and without any guarenteed speeds, becuase so many factors makes it difficult if not impossible to implement any sort of guarentee.

5G will likely help for people in inner metro areas, with connections directly with Telstra, as I wouldn't expect that they will be quick to have it on MVNOs. They aren't offering on their own prepaid services yet from what I understand, are initially charging an additional 5G access fee on some of their plans. History says it could take years, 4G took them a few years before it was offered to any of their MVNOs either, so it wouldn't be unrealistic to expect they may do the same this time.

---
Spectator

Yeah I was about to drop the cash on the $300 for 240GB of data. Then I thought it's worth checking that Boost works well for me, rather than just taking Telstra's word for it.

So I purchased the $30 sim for half price and put it in my phone - I have 35GB of data to burn, great opportunity to see if it's going to work. The other helpful thing is that my phone is a Oneplus 7 Pro with 2 sim slots, so I can do speed tests etc.

I live in South Perth and work in Leederville. Every single speed test I've run, the Jeenee Optus sim card is giving me speeds at least double the speed of what Boost Telstra is giving me, and the Optus sim card has a better signal too!

Has Telstra become awful not just in customer service, but in the actual product too? It's crazy. Optus I get about 120 and on Telstra, I'm lucky to hit 80, but most of the time it's around 40.

Telstra's got some work to do. There is zero reasons for me to switch to Boost/Telstra right now.