Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RCS support

RCS support

Highlighted
Rookie (LVL:3)

RCS support

When will Boost be supporting the Universal Profile / RCS? Telstra has currently switched it on for their customers, but it appears BOOST customers are unable to take advantage of this.

Android devices (like the Pixel XL2) via Android Messages are ready for this, but it requires carrier support. When does BOOST plan on enabling this?

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES
Champion (LVL:1)

Re: RCS support

At this stage Telstra has only applied it for the Samsung S8(+) and S9(+) devices. 

---

But is it the case that if Telstra enabled it for the Pixel XL 2, BOOST users would also receive it? The Telstra community message board seemed to imply that BOOST was in control of rolling this out as a service for its members, so why do we think here that Telstra is responsible for it?

Boost is a separate MVNO in their own right, 

BUT for the most part, the way they have their agreement set up with Telstra is that they essentially mirror Telstra Prepaid inclusions and setup, just with their own inclusions on data/calls and without the access to 4GX. 

I would assume based on the combined integration that as that one is meant to be based on network testing that they would just have it enabled for any Telstra enable it for. That may be wrong but based on previous things they have just mirrored what was enabled on Telstra prepaid so I wouldn't expect it to be any different with this case... 

---

So the main problem with this is I can't petition Telstra as to why it isn't working, because they say  "BOOST is a separate MVNO" and it's not their problem.

Yet BOOST just passes the buck back to Telstra? Their RCS documentation does not specify any device restrictions beyond a phone that is capable of it (i.e. a PIxel XL 2).

Professional (LVL:1)

".... just with their own inclusions on data/calls and without the access to 4GX

Please, Please pass on correct info!

4Gx [mainly, LTE/ 700 MGz; Band 28] IS included in Boost coverage. It has been since Telstra started rolling it out some years ago. I rang Boost's head office in Sydney, to check this, before permanently commiting to Boost. I (and thousands of other users) us it every day, providing within range of 4Gx towers. Many new towers for country 'Black Spot' areas only have 4Gx/ band 28 data now ( with 3G/ 850MHz for Voice & Texts). Also most 'Mini Towers' (short range), used in towns to fill 4G data gaps, only have 4Gx/ Band 28 - not even 3G, which is already covered in these areas!

This subject has been done to death under other headings within 'Boost Mobile Community' and at < whirlpool.net.au > discussions re Boost's coverage & frequencies.

If boost can't make their online info & coverage maps simple and up to date, then it is time they did!

If you want to know what is planned for RCS support, ring Boost's head office in Sydney [02 9299 9655]. Ask the switch board person for a Team Leader re your subject. [Don't let Boost head office transfer you to the overseas Boost/ Telstra call centre -  they won't know].  You get a real Australian, who will pass you to the correct Team Leader - if not in their own knowledge base].

Boost customers have access to the bands but not to the aggregation, that makes up the complete 4GX setup, that allows for combining the frequencies to achieve higher data speeds. The difference being that Telstra direct customers depending on the area could achieve speeds up to 1Gbps via 4GX, boost customers and other MVNO without aggregation would max out at the 150Mbps that each band by itself is able to support as a maximum.
---