Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outrageously slow mobile data

BoostMember2020
Rookie (LVL:3)

Howdy

I've recently moved to Albany on Western Australia's south coast, a sizeable town of about 35,000 and no shortage of mobile services.

However I'm finding mobile data speeds are awful. Night time speeds are regularly 0.5mbps - sometimes lower.

Was this to be expected? I'd love to discuss a refund if this is the quality of service available. I don't understand why a service running off the Telstra network would be so poor.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
BoostMember2020

Re: Outrageously slow mobile data

I'm currently downloading at 4kbps. Come on, this is ridiculous service. 

pvandenh
Community Founder

Could be a local area issue (outage etc). Or could be the phone make/model and what network bands it has access to.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.

fisher

Hi, Im living in the same town. I have been with Boost for 2 months now and never seen any speed over 1Mbps. I have been testing daily averaging at 0.4Mbps. There is no shortages and I have been using an unlocked phone. I also know my phone is accepting boost as when I was in Perth I did a test and got 34Mbps. is there a problem in Albany? has boost mobile have access to albany telstra towers or are we getting signal straight from Perth? 

Happyo
Spectator

The issue is caused by contention and is a problem on the whole network there is a reason why Boost is so much cheaper than Telstra. Telstra will have 100 people per channel Boost will have 500 to 1000 people per channel all going for the same pool of data. 
In short... you get what you pay for