Boost Mobile Community
Got a Question? Search Current Forums
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boost 4G Frequently Asked Questions

What is 4G?

4G is the fourth generation of mobile telecommunications technology, succeeding and used alongside 3G. Boost customers will access 4G on the Telstra Mobile network which uses the 1800MHz and 700MHz bands, depending on device capability and location. To access the full 4G footprint, devices need to support both these bands.

4G is typically faster than 3G. With Boost you'll be able to enjoy typical 4G download speeds of 2Mbps – 50Mbps across the largest 4G coverage area of any mobile network in Australia.

When is it coming and how will I know if I have 4G?

4G will be available to Boost Customers from September 29th 2015.

If your device is 4G compatible and you are within a 4G coverage area, your device, depending on what it is, will generally display either “4G” or “LTE” on the screen next to the signal bars.

What is the difference between 3G and 4G?

The term 3G means the third generation of mobile phone telephony, What’s the difference to 4G? With 4G you get faster download speeds than 3G when you are using a 4G device in 4G coverage areas, which is better for video calling and streaming.

What are the typical download and upload speeds of 4G?

Typical download speeds for Boost customers with 4G compatible devices when in 4G coverage areas will be from 2 to 50Mbps and typical upload speeds from 1 to 10Mbps.

Speeds may vary for a variety of reasons including location, distance from base stations, terrain, user numbers, hardware / software configuration, download source and upload destination.

Does 4G cost extra?

Everything is charged the same regardless of whether you’re on 4G or 3G.

As 4G can lead to faster downloads, you might find you use more data sooner if your usage pattern changes compared to how you currently use your device. For example, if you change your usage pattern (e.g. watch more streaming video) then you will use more data sooner.

Accessing 4G may come at a cost for you if you need to purchase a 4G compatible handset. However, you can still enjoy Boost on 3G so upgrading your phone is optional.

How do I get on 4G?

You'll need a 4G 1800MHz compatible device to access 4G and ideally one that also supports 4G on 700MHz to access the full 4G footprint (see your device manual).

All existing customers in a 4G coverage area will have the ability to access 4G with a 4G compatible device. Check out our coverage map to see if you are in a 4G coverage area.

Will I need a new SIM to get 4G?

No, all existing and new Boost customers will have access to 4G with compatible device in 4G areas without needing to buy a new SIM.

Can I keep my existing Boost number when I get 4G?

Yes you can (and automatically will) keep the same number when 4G becomes available

I don’t get 4G in my area so will my phone service still work if I’m on Boost?

Yes it will. Boost uses 3G and 4G on the Telstra Mobile Network. If 4G is not available, you’ll automatically switch to our fastest available 3G in other coverage areas around Australia.

What happens if I’m driving and drop out of a 4G area into a 3G area?

You’ll automatically switch to our fastest available 3G. The Telstra Mobile Network is the largest mobile network in Australia covering more than 2.4 Million square kilometres (99.3% of Australia’s population).

Can I access 4G overseas? If so, where? If not, what can I access?

To roam overseas you will need to purchase a Boost Add-on. You can check network availability in your overseas destination here

I have a 3G handset, can I still get 4G?

No, you will need a 4G 1800MHz capable device to access 4G and ideally one that also supports 4G on 700MHz to access the full 4G footprint.

Can I still sign up to Boost if I only have a 3G handset?

You sure can; all existing and new Boost customers with a 3G handset can continue to enjoy our great plans and service on 3G on the Telstra Mobile Network. Check that your handset is 3G-850MHz compatible.

Which devices in Boost's range are 4G ready?

On the 29th of September, we are launching the Alcatel Onetouch Quatro 4G handset. We will continue to grow our range of 4G handsets in the coming months. You can bring your own 4G device to Boost as long as it’s compatible with our network; 1800MHz plus 700MHz to access the full 4G footprint.

Will my device always stay connected to 4G?

The Telstra Mobile Network offers 4G in all the capital CBD’s, many suburban areas and in over 600 regional towns across Australia, reaching around 94% of the population today, and 3G in other coverage areas around Australia. If 4G is not available, you’ll automatically switch to our fastest available 3G in other coverage areas around Australia. Check coverage here

Version History
Revision #:
3 of 3
Last update:
‎06-05-2016 10:59 AM
Updated by:

Contributors