Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Travel to Australia

Travel to Australia

Highlighted
Spectator

Travel to Australia

I will travel to Australia from US. Can I buy a Boost SIM for a Samsung Galaxy S4?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Community Founder

Re: Travel to Australia

Yes. The Boost Sim sold in Australia should work fine.

Available at Coles and Woolworth supermarkets, or 7-11. Larger electronics retailers also. 

This community forum is for Boost Australia queries only. I am a Boost customer, and my comments are purely voluntary. For Boost Support please contact PH 1258881 or https://livechat.boost.com.au/

Highlighted
Rookie (LVL:3)

I think it might depend on what phone service you have in the US and whether or not your phone is locked into the carrier.

Highlighted
Spectator

I have an Alcatel flip phone and pay 35.00 a month for US unlimited calling and texting. I already know my phone doesn't work in Canada, but that's okay. I will be traveling to Australia. Is there anything I can do to enable my phone to RECEIVE (not make) international calls?

Highlighted

Hi sstefan

You have posted on the Boost Mobile Australia Community. I suggest you head over to Boost USA for assistance.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Luna
Community Moderator

If you have found the answer, don't forget to mark the post as an Accepted Solution as this will help other members find solutions faster. Has someone been helpful? Give them a Kudos to show your appreciation
Highlighted
Rookie (LVL:4)

Another Travel Question from a future visitor to Australia.

I've read on the Boost website that one can purchase a Boost SIM and a UNTLD+ pre-paid bundle at various retailers (Coles, Woolworths, etc). 

Then I read that in order to activate the SIM, one must go to a Telstra Store (since tourists from across the ocean don't have Australian birth certificate, drivers license or other domestic ID).

Can one purchase the SIM and pre-paid bundle at a Telstra Store?  Or must one first find one of the Boost retailers, buy the SIM, and then find a nearby Telstra Store for activation?

I don't want to spend my first day in Australia going from place to place trying to get my unlocked iPhone activated.  And without an activated iPhone, I won't be able to search for locations of the stores, nor use Maps to find them...  Sort of a Catch-22.

Could someone give me a concise step-by-step guide to getting my phone activated on the first day in country?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Champion (LVL:1)

My understanding is that Telstra Stores do not actaully have Boost SIM packs in stock, they only have Telstra SIM cards, however most Telstra stores are in shopping centres and are almost always in a very close vacitity to a major retailer with Boost packs (such as Coles/Woolworths) - Especially in metro areas. (I for example in Melbourne or Adelaide cannot think of a Telstra store which isn't within about 100m, or 110 yards, of a Major retailer who usually have Boost SIM cards in the cities themselves.)

---
Highlighted

So having found a retailer that sells Boost packs, bought a nanoSIM, and put it in my (unlocked) iPhone, then what? 

Can I get the SIM activated over the air?

Do I have to take the new SIM to a (hopefully nearby) Telstra shop? Note that being a tourist, I won't have any Australia-issued ID, which seems to be a requirement for activating SIMs in AU. Somewhere on the Boost website, I think I read that Telstra stores are set up to do the activation, but I don't want to spend money and time buying the SIM at a retailer only to find I can't get it activated. 

Thanks.

Highlighted
Champion (LVL:1)

So for people with Australian ID it would be a matter of jumping on activate.boost.com.au and enter some ID and pretty much that would be it, but yes, without any Australian ID it would need to be done in a Telstra store so they can visually validate the ID forms.

If you check this checklist here if you have your international passport and your visa (or ETA should do the job if you are only here on an ETA).

If you know which city you are flying into I can try and help you find a retailer near a Telstra Store around that city but they certainly will be able to get you activated in the Telstra store with that ID. 

Unfortunantly since Boost don't have any of their own stores they don't have a one stop for doing both. Telstra have their own prepaid option as well, on the same network, and can do both at once but their offers don't have the same inclusions. 

---
Highlighted

@DrQ,

Many thanks for the advice, and offer to help.

We'll be arriving in Australia at the Port of Darwin (on a cruise ship). 

I've already located a nearby Telstra store in downtown Darwin, However, one problem (of several) is that I won't have my passport + ETA with me.  Those are kept onboard the cruise ship.  So I thought I might make a photocopy of the ETA and see if that will work as ID to get the SIM activated (plus photocopy of my passport, which I always carry when ashore from a cruise ship). But if the Telstra store won't accept the copies as legit ID, I'll be up the creek without a SIM card.  And $40 poorer.

I thought I might get a SIM in advance (we have friends in Melbourne who could mail it to us before the trip) and then activate it on the Boost website before leaving home. But I've read that the ETA number won't be accepted for activation until we've actually arrived in Australia. Don't know if this is really true or not.

I've compared the Boost and Telstra pre-paid plans. Boost is a lot more attractive. More than double the (useful) data and unlimited calls/texts back to Canada. Otherwise, I'd simply go directly to a Telstra store, get their SIM and get them to help activate it (if that's even possible without Australian ID...)

Here in Canada (and the US, too), things are much more tourist-friendly. Go to a shop, buy pre-paid SIM, insert in phone, make an over-the-air call to activate and get phone number assigned.  Presto - all done!

Thanks for your time monitoring these posts and responding to those needing assistance. I appreciate it.