Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting

Porting

dayl2
Rookie (LVL:4)

Porting

Am thinking of porting from Kogan, however, have never ported so am unsure what to do.  Once I buy my $40 micro SIM starter kit (for Galaxy S3), I take it I need to ring your customer service area and they then make the arrangements to port.  Do I take my current Kogan SIM out of my phone and insert new Boost SIM whilst waiting for Boost to port my number from Kogan?  I need phone access as this is my only phone, and still have lots of Kogan credit, but I gather there are long delays porting at the moment due to the ISPOne issue.  How will I know that my Boost SIM is activated if it isn't in the phone?  What are the likely delays in porting at the moment?  Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
Lewis
Community Founder

Re: Porting

Hello,

I recommend buying a $2 SIM so you're not wasting your UNLTD days should there be an extended wait period.

All you need to do is jump on Live Chat and they will activate the new service and initiate the porting process for you. Just tell them you have an existing number and you want to port to Boost Mobile.

Nobody is entirely sure of the delay time, but it's probably worth it. Once you have provided Customer Care with your new SIM Serial number and your existing service number + extra details you can place the new SIM in your phone.

If you have any further questions please let me know Smiley Very Happy.

Regards,

Lewis
dayl2

Thanks Lewis! So are you saying I can't keep Kogan SIM in phone until port is actioned by Boost (to provide me with continued phone access during what could be lengthy porting process given delays). If I can keep Kogan SIM in phone, how will I know porting is complete? Will it simply be when Kogen service ceases once port is actioned? Thanks for your prompt assistance.
Lewis
Community Founder

Yeah,
That's one way to do it. There may be some downtime between when your Kogan service is disconnected and your port to Boost is completed. Nevertheless, patience pays off and you get to keep the same number on Boost! Smiley Happy
Regards,

Lewis
octobersveryown
Amateur (LVL:1)

when it is done the kogan sim will lose service Smiley Happy

pvandenh
Community Founder

Easiest way is as per mentioned above. Contact Boost and ask for activation & number port from kogan. Keep using your kogan sim, until you see it loose reception and go to "emergency calls only" (which is normally only minutes later, but may take up to 48 hours especially with the current amounts of people porting). Then just swap sims to Boost, and you should be good to go.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.

dayl2

Now I'm really confused. Just been to JB Hifi to buy $2 micro SIM to fit Galaxy S3 and said I would be porting my number from Kogan to Boost. She emphatically stated that this couldn't be done on a $2 SIM kit as these already have a number allocated to them and the technology wasnt available to port over the top of that number. She said that I would need a BLANK Boost SIM card if I wanted to port my existing number onto it. I've ended up with a cut down standard Boost blank SIM (she cut it down so it will fit the micro SIM slot in my phone) but also bought the $2 micro SIM kit just in case her advice was incorrect. I'd rather use the proper $2 micro SIM if I can port my number to it. Can't believe this wouldn't be clearly stated somewhere if what she's saying is right?? Would really appreciate definitive advice before I start trying to port/activate. Thanks!
dayl2

Also, once the blank or $2 SIM is activated, can I recharge immediately by dialling #111# on my phone or will I have to ring boost call centre given there's no Boost credit on a blank or $2 SIM. I have bought a $40 recharge voucher and hope it can be done via my phone if possible rather than waiting for call centre given their current wait time due to Kogan issues. Thanks in advance for advice on this!
cheapman
Spectator

I just ported from Kogan Mobile. Had to do it online as suggested by this site. Was placed as number 35 in the queue, after about 1 hour or so. I got my turn and yes it ported. Once I finished up with the gentlemen online it took literally 15mins to port my existing phone number from Kogan to Boost. I have had this number for 10 years. It was a breeze.

Lewis
Community Founder

You can activate with a $2 SIM. Not sure about a blank sim activation. They are usually used for sim swap. Once ported to Boost you will be able to #111# to recharge the $40
Regards,

Lewis