Boost Mobile Community
Got a Question? Search Current Forums
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

does boost keep records of a user's destination ip/dns/web browsing history?

CYEDonJr
Spectator

Hi all,

With Boost Pre-paid 4G using IPv4 addresses, this means that multiple people will be using the same public IP address.

I've been reading conflicting information regarding Australia's metadata retention law. Some people say that some service providers do record it and some say they don't. I've read an instance last year where URL's were given out, but I've also read people claim that logging everyone's destination IP/DNS would just take up too much data, and may only do it for 7 days since it isn't part of the 2 years reporting.

If someone had the same IP address as me and authorities wanted their logs, I do not want my destination history to be part of this. How does Boost ensure this doesn't occur?

Finally, I note here: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/nat-security/files/data-retention-industry-faqs.pdf

".4. Where I offer an internet access service, do I have to retain DNS requests from my
customers? (NEW)
-Where a provider offers an internet access service, the internet access service provider does not have to keep any DNS information.
-The DNS server is a “destination on the internet” and retaining that information would reveal

browsing history."

Can Boost please confirm if they or Telstra do not keep a log of users DNS server history?

Thank you,
David