Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was boost hacked?

Was boost hacked?

vk3drb
Rookie (LVL:3)

Was boost hacked?

It seems very strange that our auto top-up details are gone. I want to know why. All they said is our details were removed for "security reasons". That's a not good enough explanation.

Is it a coincidence that a crook got my debit card details and tried to make a fraudulent transaction last Saturday? (Fortunately the bank put a stop on the card just in time). I do not use the debit card for any online or instore shopping. So I am a little suspicious. I am not blaming Boost at this stage.

Has anyone else has a similar experience recently? 

5 REPLIES 5
pvandenh
Community Founder

Re: Was boost hacked?

Recently Boost has been migrating customer accounts from an old system to a new system. You may have received a message telling you about an update to your plan and what date it would happen.

As part of the FAQ's on that link, it mentiones what happens with payment info.

For security reasons, they aren't able to migrate any payment information or auto recharge setup.

I have auto recharge set up, will it still work?

No, for security reasons, saved credit/debit card details and any auto recharge you have set up will not carry across. You will need to set up your auto recharge again.
To set up auto recharge, log into the My Boost Mobile app, go to the Recharge tab, select Auto recharge, and follow the prompts. For more information about Auto recharge, click here.

Please note, auto recharge can no longer be set up and managed using #111#.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.

karl2
Rookie (LVL:4)

I also would like to know what 'security reason' means... feels unsafe to me.

is it one of you moves to get rid of autorecharge and don't honour your deal?

karl2
Rookie (LVL:4)

any news?

morrissel311
Rookie (LVL:3)

is that true?

pvandenh
Community Founder

Though I don't work for Boost, I have done similar systems upgrades elsewhere.

In most business payment systems (atleast big ones), customer payment information is "tokenised". Basically it a number assigned provided by your bank to the supplier when a customer first sets it up, which is unique to the combination or your account and that supplier system. And when the supplier sends that token back to the bank from their system, it tells the bank to match it to your chosen payment card.

Essentially the supplier system doesn't store your card details themselves, but a token reference for it.

For that to work though (and to be be secure), the token needs to come from the same supplier system. Otherwise the bank doesn't match the token to your card and thus rejects the payment. It is a safety mechanism so that your payment details are never at risk of being leaked from the supplier.systems. Even if a hacker got your token, they would need to send it to the bank from the original billing system for the bank to accept it.

With the change of a billing system, they would need a new token generated.

Thus the need for customer to re-setup.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.