Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Scam

SIM Scam

aza-industries
Spectator

SIM Scam

Hi, just posting to clear up a concern I have.

I recently gave out my number to someone I think might try to get replacement sim for and use to access accounts I have tied to my number.

How strict/hard is it to get boost to send out replacements?

I will be calling later in the week, but am unable to do so at the moment.

2 REPLIES 2
pvandenh
Community Founder

Re: SIM Scam

When porting a number to another provider, a confirmation SMS is sent to the current sim (that the user has to reply to). Even a "sim swap" on the same network still requires some security checks to confirm that the person is who they say they are.

So unless they have the physical sim card, you should be secure.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.

FarQ
Amateur (LVL:1)

Re: SIM Scam

I have concerns that Boost provide insufficient security against someone hijacking my sim. I called them and they told me that the highest level of security against a sim scam is that they (Boost) ask the caller to identify info about the User's last recharge. That seems quite a low bar for a scammer to get past.

They won't offer a call-back service or a secondary security measure such as a PIN or security question when calling in to port a number across to another sim. It seems to me that Boost have not given enough priority to protect their Users against sim scams. 

I don't fully understand how it all works, but it seems to me that a scammer can either order another Boost sim, wait for it to arrive then activate it, thus hijacking your phone service. Or try to port a number across to another provider's sim. Is this correct? Are there other methods? And what are your thoughts on Boost's security against both senarios? Sim security is critical for me, accessing info about my last recharge is a joke it that's the extent to which Boost have secured my sim.

I appreciate your help, Boost offer no assistance in this matter at all. They are geared to snaring as many new customers as possible and have close to zero resources allocated to helping existing customers. This is a normal mode of operation for mobile providers.

I would appreciate it if you could answer all three questions above and provide any other relevant information to help me secure my sim against being hijacked.

Thanks.