Did you mean: 

Phone number being used but not by me?

SOLVED
DJCROOKS
Amateur (LVL:1)

Hi,

anyone else have a similar experience....

received multiple calls I have rung random numbers and its not me?

I'm assuming my number is being hijacked by scammers or telemarketers and are testing the phone numbers to be answered?

Usually in the afternoons (following the phone call from my number) several people have also mentioned they then get 03 numbers caling them selling things or random hang ups?

Is there any way to fix this without getting a new number?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pvandenh
Community Founder

Re: Phone number being used but not by me?

Unfortunately not much you can do about it. The scammers just pick any number randomly and spoof it.

Even getting a new number may have the same thing happen.

I am now not answering any number who I don't recognise, and won't call anyone back who doesn't leave a voicemail.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
pvandenh
Community Founder

Unfortunately not much you can do about it. The scammers just pick any number randomly and spoof it.

Even getting a new number may have the same thing happen.

I am now not answering any number who I don't recognise, and won't call anyone back who doesn't leave a voicemail.

* I am a Boost Australia customer. This is a peer to peer community where users help each other.

View solution in original post

tonyquart
Spectator

Yeah I agree with . They spoof your number and use it as they want to call and scam other people. I have read quite many reports regarding similar tricks at sites like http://phonebook.ai. I think the best thing you can do is change your phone numbers. However it doesn't guarantee that your new number will be free from them, too.