Boost Mobile Community
Got a Question? Search Current Forums
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Additional information about the 2100 MHz layer of our 3G mobile service closure

Additional information about the 2100 MHz layer of our 3G mobile service closure

Community Manager

Why is the 2100 MHz layer of Telstra’s 3G mobile service closing?

Only a tiny proportion of Telstra’s mobile traffic is currently using the 2100 MHz spectrum, which has always been a supporting capacity layer. Over time, we have seen more and more customers using Telstra’s 4GX service to ensure greater coverage, network reliability and consistently fast speeds. By re-purposing the 2100 MHz spectrum from 3G to 4GX, Telstra is increasing capacity to where there is greater customer demand. We won’t be closing our 3G 2100 service until the 25th March 2019, however want to give you ample notice to ensure you have time to take the necessary steps to keep your service working on our 3G 850 MHZ service, which will remain operational for a number of years.  

How do I know if my device will be affected?

Telstra has published a list of devices that have been sold that will be affected by the 3G 2100 MHz closure, including Boost devices. That list can be found here. This will include some devices that were sourced by customers from overseas and never sold through Telstra and Boost. The true capability of these devices can be difficult for us to establish but you should be able to check your devices frequency compatibility.

You can also call 1800 112 722 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week) for assistance or visit a Telstra store to find suitable replacements.

I was told there is a care pack with a free mobile phone for Telstra and Boost customers – how do I get one?

Please complete the web form here so we have your most current details. A care pack will be posted to you within 14 days, otherwise you can call 1800 112 722 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week), or visit a Telstra store, Boost.com.au or Boost retailers to find suitable replacements.

What is the device included in the care pack?

A 4G capable Telstra Essential plus Smartphone will be provided, which will be compatible with your Boost SIM.

How can I check my device network carrier settings?

Your device may be capable of working on our primary 3G network, which is 3G 850 MHz, or 4G. You can check your settings by following the instructions below or please refer to your device manual  If you experience difficulties using your device i.e. making or receiving calls or sending and receiving SMS messages after 25th March 2019, we recommend you check your mobile network settings to stay connected.

What will happen if my device is affected and I don’t take any action?

Your current device will continue to operate until we disconnect the 2100 MHz layer of our 3G mobile service in the area where your device is located.  If you do not upgrade your device or change the network settings (if applicable) before this disconnection, then you will no longer be able to use your service from this device. To continue to be able to use your service, we recommend that you upgrade to a 4G-compatible device or a device that is compatible with the 3G 850 MHz mobile service.

What if I upgrade my network carrier settings and still have no service?

If you’ve followed the instructions as per above to check your network carrier settings and still experience difficulties using your device, please contact us on 1800 112 722. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Will I be able to make emergency calls to 000?

If your device is not compatible with our 4G or 3G 850 MHz layer, you will not be able to make an emergency call to 000 on the Telstra Mobile Network.

You might be able to make an emergency call to 000 if:

• Another mobile service provider has 3G coverage in your location; AND
  • Your device is compatible with that network.

Medical alarms and Life Critical services

If you’re using a device to monitor health such as medical alarms, security or other remote safety situations, and they’re currently using the 3G 2100 MHz layer, they will stop working on 25th March 2019.

We recommend you check for compatibility on accompanying paperwork from the manufacturer, and/or contact the provider of these devices to upgrade now.

We’re here to help

To minimise any disruption, please talk to the Telstra team so we can assess your needs on 1800 112 722. We’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.