Boost Mobile Community
Got a Question? Search Current Forums
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3G only in melb cbd ( boost's unexplained 4g outage since 18/10/2018)

Rookie (LVL:3)

Anyone else stuck on 3G only ?

Anyone else caught in this poor , non-commital response to resolve inability to access 4G?  Boost Mobile should do better.

Not since joinining (4/10/18), have I ever been able to access 4G network on my new iOS device in Melb CBD 3000.

on 3 occassions Boost's response has been vague, and non-committal.

I suspect they intensionally keep customers on 3G, save on service costs, despite their broad advertising & Canstar rating review for prepaid service products suggesting customers will have full access to 4G when in 4G service areas

Very disappointed.

Any ideas anyone, please ??

2 REPLIES
Champion (LVL:1)

Re: 3G only in melb cbd ( boost's unexplained 4g outage since 18/10/2018)

Boost customers have access to almost the full reception of the Telstra network (just not the full 4GX speeds as it doesn't have the aggregation), so there should be no reason for it to only show 3G.

If you go to settings > mobile data > mobile data options > enable 4G > ensure this is set to Voice and Data (or at least data only but not off) 

If that is on try go back to mobile data, under mobile data network make sure the APN is showing as telstra.wap

if that doesn't work settings > general > reset > reset network connections  (this clears the network connection and can cause any carrier updates to come through)

If that still doesn't work a soft reset (power+home button, or, the power+volume button on iPhones without a home button)

Failing that as well, it could be a fault SIM card.
---
Rookie (LVL:3)

Re: 3G only in melb cbd ( boost's unexplained 4g outage since 18/10/2018)

Update. I think it only fair to provide an update, when a material update occurs.

BOOST have sent me a new SIM to replace my old SIM, and this has proven successful in enabling me to access 4G network in 4G areas (in Melb CBD).

Thank you to the IT people at BOOST for helping me through the 6 week frustration of only being able to access 3G. Despite a few IT technicians not listening to my problem and leading with standard responses, and insisting on standard responses, finally 1 technician truly listened and helped me isolate the problem. 

My advise: Seek out alternative IT technicians within BOOST if you get standard answers. Find a technician who listens and truly is there to help, not just '..... kick the can, down the road' 

Smiley Happy